Established Contributor
Threads
Post Replies
Status
away
Last seen
Do NFC/RFID credit card skimmers exist?
Has anyone built something like this?
I see long range RFID readers on eBay, but I'm unsure if the frequency is compatible with credit cards.

I've tried looking up the technical specifications but can't find much info about credit card NFC technology.
It would be useful to build a long range RFID skimmer and put it into a laptop bag, briefcase, purse, or something low profile like that. Maybe sticking it underneath a chair in a fast food place to gather data.
I've seen on the news people using NFC phones to capture info, but for that method it seems like you'd need to be within inches of the person.

A long distance skimmer would allow you to be a reasonable distance away.
A low profile NFC skimmer could be placed where credit cards are frequently swiped
Also, what I'm not clear about, is if the CVV code can get skimmed with NFC/RFID. Apparently the CVV code is rolling and changes each time its used, and using the wrong one burns the card.

1. Does anyone know if something like this can be built to passively skim credit cards?
2. Could an RFID reader be modified to get a longer range? Whats a reasonable range to expect?
3. Whats the deal with CVV codes if they get skimmed thru RFID?
4. Any other thoughts?

cardingexpert177

Junior Contributor
Threads
Post Replies
Status
away
Last seen
Victor, I appreciate your enthusiasm, so let me respond to your questions one at a time.

1. Yes, you can build a RFID skimmer using KeyFlipper, a multi-purpose tool.

2. It is possible to extend it, however when using it in a public setting, it could appear suspicious.

3. The issue with RFID skimmed data is that you can only use it once since the bank will create a new code, making the old one obsolete. Additionally, with RFID you cannot retrieve CVV data the same way you can with a track2 as it will be encoded in a HASH.

4. Honestly, I've never seen anyone make money from RFID skimming since it's incredibly time-consuming and scanning data from passers-by is a lot of work to do with not much effort. Trying to skim without the PIN is pointless.

Talaban

Junior Contributor
Threads
Post Replies
Status
away
Last seen
Victor, I appreciate your enthusiasm, so let me respond to your questions one at a time.

1. Yes, you can build a RFID skimmer using KeyFlipper, a multi-purpose tool.

2. It is possible to extend it, however when using it in a public setting, it could appear suspicious.

3. The issue with RFID skimmed data is that you can only use it once since the bank will create a new code, making the old one obsolete. Additionally, with RFID you cannot retrieve CVV data the same way you can with a track2 as it will be encoded in a HASH.

4. Honestly, I've never seen anyone make money from RFID skimming since it's incredibly time-consuming and scanning data from passers-by is a lot of work to do with not much effort. Trying to skim without the PIN is pointless.
Do you have telegram or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread